Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mmmm... yeasty...

As a reward for suffering through my massive "must-read" list yesterday, I give you a recipe... and it's a good one.


For a while now, I've been looking for a good sandwich bread but every recipe comes out either too heavy (think almost quickbread-y) or too light (like a french baguette). They either don't toast or the jam on your pb&j leaks through the holes.

Ah, but this one. This one is good. Light but substantial. Perfect for your standard American breakfasts and lunches.

The recipe is not my own but I will gladly share it. My only word of caution is to make sure you don't let it rise for too long in the pan (as I did) - otherwise you'll end up with what Pete is calling "the horn", which is that little bit that flopped over the pan when it was rising and which prevents it from fitting in the toaster. Then again, our toaster is his older brother's that somehow survived the life of a male college student and therefore is certainly brave...


...but probably doesn't compare to the spiffy modern one that you may have that can toast bread, horns and all.

No comments: