Sunday, November 16, 2008

Roasted Acorn Squash and Rotkohl

Still working on the squash...

Today I roasted a small acorn squash, using Matt's molasses-glaze recipe. I've been dying to use more of this molasses that I picked up in Asheville, North Carolina last year when I was visiting my brother, so this was the perfect excuse. It has a full, rich flavor, which isn't quite what the recipe calls for, but I thought it worked wonderfully. Acorn squash has a little stronger, a little nuttier flavor than a butternut too, so it wasn't overwhelmed.


I also used this opportunity to make use of a head of red cabbage that's been sitting in my crisper for about a month now. In college I majored in German and have spent a collective year in various parts of the Mutterland, during which time I fell in love with German cuisine. One of my favorite dishes is Rotkohl, sauteed red cabbage with apples and vinegar. This is a sweet and tangy dish that is incredibly healthy and easy to make.

Rotkohl

2 T Olive Oil
1 Medium Head of Red Cabbage (a little over 1 pound), Chopped
1 Baking Apple, Chopped
1-2 T Sugar or Brown Sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
2 T Red Wine or Apple Cider Vinegar
2 t Salt

Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and apples, stirring to coat. Stir in remaining ingredients and reduce heat to low-medium. Cook until cabbage is soft, about 20 minutes.

1 comment:

Katie said...

umm... that looks AMAZING!!!! is that your photo? i might need to crash just to eat your yummy food. miss ya friend!